Journey Around the World: Into The Wild. Alone.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Into The Wild. Alone.

My Dez Vacation with nic and my parent indeed ended with a BOOM! I fell sick the very next day after returning home(Frankfurt). It sucked. Fever persisted for 3 days. The amount of  Panadols I took was scary. Phobia for tablettes did not help. Water soluble pills that i brought  from Singapore did a great job. I was cursing the stupid virus while getting some medical  advices from Elvin. Thank you! My chest feels weak from all the cough, sore throat and flu that I have now. It sucks! Getting good slp seemed so tough. I never had problems sleeping. Today is the first time that I had problems sleeping. This explains why I woke up at 3am to pen down some thoughts.A weird nightmare woke me up. The flooring at home in Singapore cracked badly, exposing the dark black soil under ground, as if we just had an earthquake. I was in the 3rd storey at home, while witnessing what has occured. Before I knew it, a black, palm-sized  dinosaur crawled up my feet and clammed hard onto it. The first few seconds were nice coz it  was cute, subseqently, it got horrifying coz i couldnt feel blood flowing hrough my feet anymore. I woke up in perspiration, while images from the movie "Into the While" flashed through my mind.After having a hard time streaming this film online, not to mention the million hickups and refresh, I finally finished watchin the highly recommended movie with nic yest. I cried at the end of the movie coz i hated the ending and it affected me.


A young man leaves his middle class existence in pursuit of freedom from relationships and obligation. Giving up his home, family, all possessions but the few he carried on his back and donating all his savings to charity Christopher McCandless (Emile Hirsch) embarks on a journey throughout America. His eventual aim is to travel into Alaska, into the wild, to spend time with nature, with 'real' existence, away from the trappings of the modern world. In the 20 months leading up to his Great Alaskan Adventure his travels lead him on a path of self-discovery, to examine and appreciate the world around him and to reflect on and heal from his troubled childhood and parents' sordid and abusive relationship. When he reaches Alaska he finds he has been insufficiently prepared for the hardships to come. Despite making it through the winter his plan is ill-judged and prepares to return home in spring, only to find the stream he crossed in the snow has become an impassable raging torrent and that he is trapped. With no means of sustaining himself adequately he eventually starves to death in his so sought after isolation. Throughout his epic journey the people he meets both influence and are influenced by the person he is and bring him to the eventual and tragic realisation that "Happiness is only real when shared".


Things that upset me greatly after having watched the film:

He wanted to share. He wanted to return to his devastated parents, whom he has forgiven and loved. He really wanted to. But he did not get a chance to.He left behind great friends who made an impact on his life and shaped him as a person. The relationships were so real.

Wad about Ron as a grandfather? McCandless left and never came back.

Wad about his sister who loved him so much? He left her behind without saying a word nor has he sent any letter.

He has learnt so much about himself and everything around him but was unable to share. His death brought out the true meaning of, " Happiness only real when shared".




His final journal entry


A slight mistake on his part brought his death. Unfair.

Werent there other ways to escape the tragedy?

The movie was slightly extreme in the sense that this guy went to live in the WILD. Life is indeed built on new experiences. But I will never pursue new experience at the expense of my life. With health and a living body, only can I experience the beauty of my surroundings, choose the life I want to lead, experience the things I always wanted to, live my dreams, learn about myself and continue making meaningful relationship with worthwhile people around me. 


Before parting with Ron, Christopher said:

"I will miss you too, but you are wrong if you think that the joy of life comes principally from the joy of human relationships. God's place is all around us, it is in everything and in anything we can experience. People just need to change the way they look at things."

I don't fully agree with him. Later on, Christopher was inspired by Leo Tolstoy's words:

“I have lived through much, and now I think I have found what is needed for happiness. A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people to whom it is easy to do good, and who are not accustomed to have it done for them; then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one’s neighbor – such is my idea of happiness.”

After that, Christopher made an attempt to leave the magic bus, but he was unable to cross the river as the water had risen. He returned back to the magic bus and struggled to survive. He could find no game and he had no food. He wrote "lonely", "scared" in his journal. In the end, he wrongly identified a poisonous plant as edible and that led to his death. In his last few days, he wrote:

"Happiness only real when shared."

And some other quotes that left an impact on me:

"When you forgive, you love. And when you love, God's light shines upon you."

"I think the whole world loves me. And I want to have the wisdom to love them back." 
"You really believe in love then."
 
"Yeah, totally."


Quality friends mean alot to me. Leaving them behind is something that I would never wanna do if i have a choice. Moments like leaving Australia after my Summer School at UNSW was so difficult because Sarah a great friend will be left behind. Tears rolled. But I guess, this definitely made our Email exchanges, conversations over skype or msn even more precious and I always look forward to them. Looking forward to Sarah coming to Spore too! Met Sarah again this year during my stop over in sydney on the way back to Spore from NZ. The hours in Sydney were well spent! With meimei in Sydney, going back there again is somewhere on the Agenda after Central America in Dez '09. Leaving Frankfurt, then Munich and Germany will be hard. Oh well, on a happier note. Martina is coming to Spore! =) 



No comments: