Journey Around the World: Advent Calendar

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Advent Calendar

An Advent calendar is a special calendar used to count the days of Advent. Today, they are mostly made for

 children, in a rectangular form containing chocolate. The most common usage of an Advent calendar is to countdown for Xmas!

 The traditional calender consists of two pieces of cardboard on top of each other. Twenty four doors are cut out in the top layer, with a number ranging from one to twenty four on each. Beginning on the first day of December, one door is opened each day, counting down the days remaining until Christmas Eve, from twenty four to one. Behind each door is a surprise, usually chocolate. I saw one during my shopping trip in the city which has different make-up products behind each window! Amazing to see how creativity has led to evolution=)

Bayer gave out an Advent Calendar to all its workers except Interns...Which means I wont get one=( They probably din have enuff or wadever. I was joking to Christian saying that I wont mind having all his chocolates =) I went for a break and came back, noticing a tiny note with super pretty handwriting from Sabina(a lady who works in the same lab):

Hallo Jackie,

wenn Du möchtest,
kannst Du meinen Adventskalender haben.

Liebe Grüße, bis morgen,
Sabina

A tiny note that made my day. It suddenly went beyond just having a cute advents calender that would probably the first and last in my entire life. Her thoughfulness and kindness touched me. Really. I wont bare to ripe it open and gobble up all the chocolate. It looks like perfect and clean like it is now=) Thank you Sabina! It was greatly appreciated! 

More pretty advents calender!




To add on to my already meaningful day, I received an Email from the SEP secretary from TUM, notifying me that she has received my application despite all the "Errors" that took place during the whole simple process-submission of the wrong form on my part as well as NUS' part etc... I am offered a place for SEP at TUM and i am staying in Germany till Aug 09 for sure! Cheers! She was very endearing in the email and seemed very approachable! I will get a welcome buddy next year and i have Orientation week awaiting me! 

~Savouring every bit of life. What more can i ask for~

1 comment:

Phoney Bustard said...

Sehr nett! Ich moechte einer auch. haha