Journey Around the World: Exploring Singapore

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Exploring Singapore

The eventful stay started at noon, when Yihan, Guangyi and I went for Lunch at Chinatown (People's Park Complex) and went hunting around for Table liners that I wanted to get. I saw it during CNY but it was too crowded and I din not get them. We sat down for Kopi/Teh and I had the worse Teh ever. I made the waitress replace yihan's and my Teh. The second attempt was slightly better but it was no where near drinkable. "It was just the wrong combination of everything. The tea, milk and sweetener". Was tempted to not pay but we did. Yihan even tipped them! Boo... GY went for German Bratwurst and the Austrian boss was no where near friendly. I managed to speak a few sentence to him in German went I picked up his falling menu/price display. Wad a disappointment. Germans and Austrians are usually way friendlier. Has he been Singapore-fied and lost his "roots"?! nvm... We explored a lavish, air-coned temple near Smith Str and it was amazing. Apparently million of dollars were spent building the temple. "Doesnt that just contradicts the principles of religions sometime. Imagine what other good the money could be used for."


Roof Garden



Hans and Guangyi







We moved on to visit Goethe Institute at Penang Road. It was all quiet. The library, which was the size of a classroom, was empty. Wad a pity. Yihan and I wanted to look for some great German film there but we only saw old old films! Saw a poster of the Film "Ein Teil von mir". Will check out this film. GY says that its nice=) I browsed through German magazines while GY chanced upon this book below:


We had a good laugh coz it was Hans and Guangyi's book. Yihan's nic name was HANS and Guangyi's surname was KUNG! haha... Does god exist?



This was at some MRT station=)

We proceeded to explore 313 @ Somerset-GY's favourite shopping centre. It was quite nice on the inside. They had a sitting area with cushion etc and it was nice. I feel that sitting space is something that is lacking in Singapore compared to Germany. Nice to know that 313 has made improvement in this area. The no. of guys sitting is larger than the number of gals-maybe coz the gals are all in the shop while the guys wait patiently =) That's only my speculation though. Han seconded that!

Orchard central (beside 313) was a slight mess and the escalators telepot us from level 1 to level 3 at one go! haha.. It was a long ride..

I bought plates from Robinsons and a huge bowl from Tangs for Liquid Chocolate yesterday. I love the "Kitchen" section and was glad that I could buy something and put it to good use. A lady behind us in the Cashier queue was very nice. She offered to help me pay with the Robinsons discount card when she heard me telling the cashier that I had no discount card. That was such a rare sight. Nice Singaporeans still exist! Let's make Singapore a better and warmer place. =)

It was very nice to have time in our hands, exploring Singapore/our surrounding and hanging out with friends. Waffer Ice cream from the push cart , lepaking on some bench and listening to life guitar music from a bar along Orchard road was something that I have not done in a long long while. I am gonna make good use of time till september to LIVE.

Marcus recommended some other areas to explore. "When you see old shophouses, just walk".
Tanglin, thomson, chinatown, boat quay, newton, alexandra..... :) Oh and I wanna go Potong Pasir and explore that area too!

1 comment:

Phoney Bustard said...

Haha. I cheated and went to explore Potong Pasir liao. Was definitely a disappointment. The place looked pretty spiffy with walls cleaner than my block and all connected with covered linkway. Only spotted a hole in 1 of e older covered linkways. The place is really idyllic and peaceful though. Very few cars and lots of green spaces. Next time we can go talk to some pple abt their views on being in an opposition ward! haha